All of us, at one time or another, have heard that yoga is an brilliant way to relieve stress. A little bit of yoga every morning keeps us stress-free for the whole day or at least helps us cope with stress. But that is not the only advantage that yoga provides. In addition to relaxing you, yoga also increases athleticism and helps in losing weight.
Yoga For Weight Loss
Some studies suggest that yoga helps in weight reduction to a greater degree, but not in a way that we start relating physical activities to weight reduction. Usually, the process of the reduction of weight entails consuming slightly less calories (around 10% – 20%) than what is required to maintain your current body weight. However, yoga, unlike exercises, develops mindfulness in the person. It makes people see more clearly, not only their body but also their dietary habits and take action. It makes them switch toward healthier food options leading to the reduction of weight.
Ways in Which Yoga Helps You Lose Weight
Yoga and weight reduction are more decisively related than we actually recognize. There are different fundamental reasons for weight gain and yoga addresses these causes from inside.
- Stimulation of liver – Yoga postures help in improving the vital force of the liver for its better working. The liver can likewise be washed down adequately by following a vegetable and fruit detox diet plan.
- Activation of thyroid gland – Thyroid is a vital organ of the body that controls digestion. High capability to burn calories helps in consuming fat from the body at a quicker pace. Yoga postures assist in revising thyroid dysfunction.
- Keeping the right pH of the body – A body that has an extremely acidic pH makes it impossible to store fat. Yoga can help in keeping up the pH of the body at a safe alkaline level.
- Balance in nervous system – Stress is one of the real causes behind weight gain. However, yoga stances can realize the right harmony between different sensory systems that are fundamental to ease stress and tension.
- Internal heat – Heat can be produced in the body itself by the nervous system, making people feel hotter. Yoga postures activate the nervous system through stretches, and this warmth helps in the consumption of fat.
- Stress on muscles – Yoga poses that keep the body in motion alongside stretches and static holds require you to use your muscles and places stress on them, this will make your muscles stronger and add new muscle tissue. This helps you burn more calories as your body has to repair those muscle and add new muscle which requires more calories to maintain, this whole process will help you burn fat over time.
- Mountain pose – Start the pose by joining the legs together, with heels slightly apart. Place your arms at your side with the palm facing outward. While standing straight, press your feet onto the yoga mat. Close your eyes and bring your hands together in front of your chest as if you are praying. Hold the breath for a few seconds. Try to inflate your lungs and lighten the upper body. Then release your breath.
- Wide cobra pose – Lie on your stomach on a mat. Place your hands by stretching them a bit away from the mat with the elbows pointing upward. Press the lower body on the floor. While inhaling, lift your head up while keeping your spine and arms straight, thus lifting your upper body in the air. Hold your breath for 10 to 15 seconds and then release.
- Warrior pose – Stand in a mountain pose and stretch one of your legs back while the other one forward. The forward leg is supposed to make a 90-degree angle with the knee. Bring your hands together over your head and stretch them. The pose can go into the second stage by bringing hands together in front of the chest and then stretching out wide apart.
- Chair pose – This exercise entails the person to be in a position like a chair. Bend your body so that the knees make a 90-degree angle. Stretch your hands over your head and bring them together.